Five reasons why you should eat oranges
New Delhi: Whether you have it as a snack, add it to your dish for a sweet and tangy flavour or just squeeze it to make a glass of fresh juice – oranges are one of the most popular fruits around the world power packed with immense health benefits. A rich source of Vitamin C and packed with antioxidants, flavonoids and dietary fibre this citrus fruit is said to have anti-inflammatory, anti-tumour and anti-oxidant properties.
Here are some of the health benefits for oranges:
1. Boost immunity: Just one orange supplies 116.2% of the daily value for vitamin C. Vitamin C, is vital for the healthy functioning of the immune system. It also helps prevent colds and recurrent ear infections.
2. Prevents cancer: Vitamin C, a primary water-soluble antioxidant protects the cells from damages by free radicals reducing risk of cancer. The fibre in oranges can grab cancer-causing chemicals and keep them away from cells of the colon, providing yet another line of protection from colon cancer. Beta-cryptoxanthin, an orange-red carotenoid may significantly lower risk of developing lung cancer.
3. Lowers cardiovascular disease risk: Folate, also known as vitamin B9, helps lower levels of homocysteine- an amino acid produced by the body – high levels of which can cause hardening and narrowing of the arteries, heart attack, stroke and blood clot formation. The potassium in oranges helps lower blood pressure, protecting against stroke and cardiac arrhythmias; and the vitamin C, carotenoids and flavonoids have been identified as having protective cardiovascular effects. Iron and Vitamin B6 in oranges help in the production of haemoglobin and increase the oxygen carrying capacity.
4. Prevents stomach ulcers: Oranges are a very good source of fibre which helps keep your stomach and intestines healthy. A diet rich in fibre helps stimulating digestive juices and helps prevent constipation and stomach ulcers.
5. Great for diabetics: A single orange provides 12.5% of the daily value for fibre and has a high glycaemic index which makes it a good food option for diabetics. Fibre helps to keep blood sugar levels under control. In addition, the natural fruit sugar in oranges, fructose, can help to keep blood sugar levels from rising too high after eating.